Broccoli Cheddar Soup


I've had people ask me “what's your favorite thing to cook?” and I never quite knew how to answer them. There's so much to cook, how can I decide?! Welp, I think I figured it out–– it's soup! It's a bit anticlimactic, I'm aware.  Heck, some people don't even like soup. “Who are they?” you ask? I've heard of them, but I hope to never know them.

There's something so satisfying about having a pot of soup on the stove. Is it the mere fact that you know there will be only one pot and a cutting board to clean, or the smell of the flavors melding together? Whatever the case, it's one of my favorite things about cooler weather. Truly, it's such a joy. From the smell of the sauteing onions to the simplicity of pouring the final product in a bowl or mug, I love making soup. It's one of the most versatile dishes one can make! The possibilities really are endless. There are thick soups, thin soups, hearty soups, healthy soups, rich and creamy soups, chock-full-of-protein soups, soups meant for the first course, and soups meant for the main course. I'm starting to feel like Dr. Seuss here, so I need to be careful. Do you get my drift? Have I converted some of you who don't like soup? If that didn't, maybe this recipe will.

- - - - - - 

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Ingredients
1 onion diced 
4 tbsp butter
.25 cup flour
5 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1-1.5lbs broccoli
1 cup Shredded carrots 
.5 tsp garlic powder
.5 tsp nutmeg
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar 
2 oz American or Velveeta cheese (yes, just do it)

Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
Sautee onion and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir and cook until translucent. Add broccoli and shredded carrots. Stir again.  Add flour, and stir. Pour in broth, and add spices. Let it simmer over medium-low heat for about ten minutes before adding the cheese and cream. Let it simmer for another ten minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bon Appetit! 

**Thanks to my helpful little one for holding the lid to the bowl so well. This was the first time she helped with my food photography.

Comments

Popular Posts