Let's Talk About Eggs...

I'll be the first to admit, I am very fond of deviled eggs. I'm not quite sure where the fondness developed considering that eggs are the turkey to my breakfast - it's only socially acceptable to eat all the sides as long as the protein is there.

That said, I decided to make one of my client's a deviled eggs recipe. Haters, before you start with your judge-mental stares at your computer screen, let me explain. This client is an elderly woman who has an strong-liking with picnic food. She loves foods that are easy to eat and can be served chilled. She also eats like a bird. I kid you not, her appetite for the entire day amounts to a mid-afternoon snack for myself. That said, I need to be mindful of serving small amounts of food that will not overwhelm her. In this case, deviled eggs are a royal flush.

Although I enjoy an occasional mustard/mayonnaise/relish delight, I have to switch things up a bit. Let's be real for a second, the 'dressing' for a typical deviled egg is the exact same of the generic potato salad. It can only go so far. Last week, I made an Eggs Benedict Style Deviled Egg.

'How is that possible? How do you make a deviled egg with hollandaise sauce?', you say? I've got one answer for you - You don't. It's an incredibly simple recipe that creates a richness that ever so slightly resembles the flavors of eggs benedict...and it's awesome. 

Here's how it's done...

Ingredients

4 hard boiled eggs
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 pieces Canadian bacon
panko breadcrumbs
2 scallions, chopped finely
1 tbs Dijon mustard
1 tbs mayonnaise
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Steps

Boil the eggs by placing them in a small pot with cold water (enough to skim the top of the eggs) and vinegar. Bring water to a boil then cook for 2 minutes before turning the off the heat. Let the eggs sit in the pot covered for at least 10-15 minutes.  While the eggs are sitting in the hot water, cook then chop the Canadian bacon for one minute turning over once.  Rinse with cold water then lightly crack eggs on a flat surface to easily peel off the shell.

Place into a bowl then mix in all the ingredients except for the panko breadcrumbs. Once the eggs are peeled, slice them in half lengthwise  and use your thumb to apply just enough pressure to release the yolk into the bowl. Toast the panko breadcrumbs in a shallow skillet over low heat. Toss until they are golden brown.

Use a small fork to mash the ingredients in the bowl. Use a small spoon to scoop a generous amount into the eggs. Toss a pinch of the toasted breadcrumbs over each egg.

Bon Appetite!


Comments

Popular Posts